Subject: Re: proposed re-work / unification of boot block installation
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/13/2002 18:13:39
--+pHx0qQiF2pBVqBT

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 12:09:56PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
>=20
> : > : - there are no seperate level0 and level1 blocks.
> : >
> : > Yes, there are, from the perspective of Luke's description.  "level0"=
 refers
> : > to the RDB entries; there's no actual executable code there.  Similar=
ly, the
> : > Sun disklabel is the "level0" bootblock for a Sun machine.
> :
> : ok, if you define it that way, yes. Still leaves us with the same probl=
em:
> : unless you want to create a disk images (as opposed to a filesystem ima=
ge),
> : you can't cross-installboot. Or you have to leave out level0.
>=20
> Well, provided you have a RDB parser, you can at set the bootable flag,
> reserved blocks, and write out the data; you just can't repartition.  The
> RDB parser is what we're missing, and Luke has now volunteered to write i=
t.

For cross-filesystem-creation , you can't. The RDB is outside of the partit=
ion
you're creating.

As for the "set bit and count" bits, I've mentally volunteered to write that
for a long time, I've just not felt it was urgent enough (without writing a=
=20
full repartitioner) to be useful.

Regards,
	-is