Subject: Re: Pathname translation for emulations (Was: Re: Removing compat/aout)
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2002 22:25:50
Bill Studenmund wrote:
> JD, could you please be nice? Christoph was, as best I could tell,
> politely trying to share how other systems do things. That doesn't mean we
> have to do it, or do it that way.

Sure.

> The best part of the idea I've heard is that emulations feed info to an MI
> part of the kernel. And I think we should learn from that.

We do that already via struct emul, i.e. via p->p_emul->e_* AFAIK.

> In principle I agree with you. But if we have the same code in every
> emulation except for the name, we should centralize it. And I think we can
> do this w/o adding much impact to native code (testing for a null
> pointer).

Fine :) It would be interesting to find out to which extent we have
same path translation code in every emulation, and how much
centralizable it is.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org> http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/i386/ps2.html