Subject: Removing compat/aout
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jaromir.dolecek@artisys.cz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2002 17:05:14
Hi,
I'd like to finally completely nuke all remains of compat/aout code
from the system.  The modified a.out ld.so which looks in /emul/aout
first is much better solution to the problem, and actually _works_
on systems with mix of NetBSD ELF & a.out binaries.

To quote what someone else said I agree with:
"""
COMPAT_AOUT is horribly dangerous, screws you, makes all your binaries work
wrong, and forces you to delete every last a.out binary in order
to have your machine work normally again.
"""

I'd also like to significantly reduce compat/aoutm68k. Particularily,
I'd like to nuke all but the stat structure ABI conversion hooks - AFAIK
this is the only reason to keep it.

Opinions?

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jaromir.dolecek@artisys.cz>
ARTISYS, s.r.o., Stursova 71, 61600 Brno, Czech Republic