Subject: Re: Proposal: Audio: Sampling rate conversion
To: TAMURA Kent <kent2002@hauN.org>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/05/2002 11:45:57
On Tue, 2002-03-05 at 09:29, TAMURA Kent wrote:
> I don't think conversion quality is so important because the
> proposal is a remedy for uaudio and auich.  An important thing
> is to enable to *open* /dev/audio for uaudio or auich, not to
> *use* 8kHz mulaw.  The resultant sound of 44.1kHz -> 48kHz
> conversion has no problem for my ears :-)

Please test the 44.1kHz -> 48kHz conversion with the following file:

 http://invisible.yi.org/~jmcneill/misc/swoop.wav

My ESS Allegro-1 uses a DSP image that does sample-rate conversion up to
48kHz, and it does a pretty poor job of it. The poor job is evident when
listening to that .wav file. After playing it back with 'audioplay', try
'audioplay -f -s 48000 swoop.wav' and compare the two.

Regards,
Jared