Subject: Re: Kernel support for ELF-format core files
To: Andrew Cagney <cagney@mac.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/10/2001 09:59:00
On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 08:51:11AM -0800, Andrew Cagney wrote:

 > Ah, thanks, sorry didn't realize this.  Might be time to teach GDB a
 > little bit more about core files.

Err, personally, I think the current arrangement (libbfd doing the
section work) is good -- it allows you to pull them apart with e.g.
objcopy :-)

GDB really should be working with "bfd sections", which do not secessarily
map 1:1 with actual sections in the file.  The .reg and .reg2 bfd sections
are actually in one file section, even in Solaris.

 > > Yes, I know.  Those pseudo-sections are put together by libbfd.  The
 > > number after the / is actually ((lwpid << 16) | pid).
 >

 > Hmm, definitly time to do this.

Err... gdb already deals with this properly.  As far as I can tell, anyway.