Subject: Re: Wine & NetBSD?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/20/2001 14:47:08
On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 11:23:32AM -0800, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 04:09:49AM +0900, Bang Jun-Young wrote:
>
>  > No, without this patch COMPAT_PECOFF would be also mostly useless. Then
>  > you should remove it from the repository. This is NetBSD's problem and
>  > should be fixed.
>
> Why useless?  The COMPAT_PECOFF dynamic loader uses MAP_FIXED properly,
> IIRC.

Including DLLs?

IIRC, Windows DLLs are designed to fit in specific locations in
memory. Although I thought that relocations could be used to
move the dll at load time to a different location. Perhaps I'm
wrong about the relocations; that would certainly explain the
"mostly useless" remark above.

"It sounded pretty good, but it's hard to tell how it will work out
in practice." -- Dennis Ritchie, ~1977, "Summary of a DEC 32-bit machine"