Subject: bumping Linux emulation version?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/30/2001 18:47:39
Hi!

I have a problem with Linux/Mips emulation: most Linux/Mips systems now
run glibc-2.2.4, which require a recent kernel. At program startup, libc
calls new_uname() to check kernel version and terminates the program if
it's too low.

Through uname(), we currently claim to emulate a 2.0.36 kernel, which
causes a failure. If we claim a 2.4.0 kernel, it works.=20

The minimal kernel version seems to be set at libc build time, depending
on the kernel version. This is done in libc sources through the
__LINUX_KERNEL_VERSION macro. It seems to me that this makes impossible
to use the libc with an older kernel than the one that built it.

Is there any drawback to bump the emulated kernel version to a really
recent version, such as 2.4.0? Or should it be bumped only for Mips?

--=20
Emmanuel Dreyfus. =20
Vous avez deplac=E9 la souris.=20
Windows NT doit maintenant redemarrer pour valider les modifications.
manu@netbsd.org