Subject: Re: possible bug in NetBSD asynchronous I/O
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <p99dreyf@criens.u-psud.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/28/2001 23:24:01
> > I do not exepct to receive SIGIO because the reader at the other end of
> > a pipe has readen a byte. Do you expect such a behavior? Since NetBSD
> > seems to be the only OS doing this, I beleive there is a real problem
> > here.
> Hm, when the reader reads one byte, I can write one byte, and if I'm async
> writing, I deserve to get notified by SIGIO, IMO.

Well, you would also have been able to write one byte if the reader
would not have readen one byte.

Knowing that the reader has readen something is an interesting
information, but here it has nothing to do with your ability to write
data to the pipe. Hence I don't expect a SIGIO here.

Anyone tried my sample program? I would really expect it to have the
same behavior on any UNIX system, and it has not. IMHO we are wrong,
Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Solaris are wrong, or the behavior is not
well standardized.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus.
Ugly one-liners -- http://gizmo.minet.net:8080/sh