Subject: Re: SYN cookie ?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/17/2001 09:25:59
> I know there are plenty of reasons that you may not want to run
> NetBSD on that particular web server, but why is its OS not properly
> protecting it from SYN floods?

Does it matter?

> Is this really the kind of thing we need to (further) bog a stateful
> firewall down with?

This is *exactly* what firewalls are for: to protect `inside' machines
from having their vulnerabilities exploited.

Indeed, it's why I generally don't like firewalls: they amount to
saying "yes, I know there's this vulnerability, but rather than fix it
I'd rather just try to paper over it".

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca