Subject: Re: Japanese with wscons?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: MINOURA Makoto <minoura@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/12/2001 22:03:42
We have to discuss wsconsole (wsdisplay and wskbd) layer and
the underlying hardware driver (vga, pcdisplay, etc) layer
separately.

There are some machines on which displaying local characters
is supported by hardware; for example x68k has JIS x0208 font
in ROM, and pc98 (port in progress) has more powerful
support to display JIS X0208 characters.  More typically
the national standards of the keyboard can input their local
characters.

The wsconsole layer has two interfaces; one for tty (syscall
API) and the other for hardware driver.  When we have i18n
support in wsconsole layer, it is desireble that it supports
the legacy coding systems (such as ISO-2022 and variants)
for the hardware interface.

--
Minoura Makoto <minoura@netbsd.org>