Subject: Re: LFS v2 layout
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Konrad Schroder <perseant@hitl.washington.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/06/2000 15:08:28
On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

> >     - segments aligned to the start of the partition, rather than to
> >       the first superblock (so they can be stripe-aligned)
>
> Hmm.  This assumes that partitions start on a stripe boundary.
>
> Could you perhaps make this more generic with "segments aligned to an
> offset from start of partition specified in superblock"?

This would be easy enough to do, but what would one gain by having this
data stored in the superblock versus the partition table?  (I.e., why not
just define the partition to start on a stripe boundary?)

Konrad Schroder          http://www.hitl.washington.edu/people/perseant/
Information Tech & Services   Box 352142 -or- 215 Fluke Hall, Mason Road
Human Interface Technology Lab                  University of Washington
Voice: 206.616.1478   FAX: 206.543.5380          Seattle, WA, 98195, USA