Subject: re: Changing exec's #! behavior
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/17/2000 01:47:24
   >   >   #!/usr/bin/awk NR > 1 {print $1}
   >                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   >that is one argument

   depends on the context.  from the point of view of the shell, it's
   several.  from the point of view of exec_script, it's (currently) one.

nono, that's the point.  to the shell, it *is* one argument.  if you
typed it at a shell, you would quote the highlighted part above.

   if you'd asked me before this discussion started, i'd have guessed it
   wouldn't do what you want, since i expected that the only the first
   argument (delimited by white space) after the interpreter name would
   be passed to the interpreter.

   >standards?  heh.

   yeah...i know.  what's standard anyway?  bah!

   <rant>

   everything's posix compliant these days, but nothing interoperates.

as far as i know, nothing specifies this behaviour *exactly*...