Subject: Re: ddb Upcoming enhancements/changes/history
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/25/2000 00:20:26
John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU> writes:

> Can you state your request in the form of functional requirements?

My main complaint, if you can call it that, is that the user space
debugger (GDB) and the kernel debugger (DDB) doesn't use the same
commands. I'm not suggesting that you (or anyone else) move GDB into
the kernel, but, to mention one thing, it's not obvious to the casual
user that `next' does the equivalent of `finish'. I guess that what I
want is a GDB-mode to DDB.

Anyway, this is a low priority project, at best.

> When I think of the "beauty of adb", it's that you can save a lot of
> typing[*] ;-)

Bah! With command line editing, it's far too user friendly.

> I would presume that if you're unfamiliar with ddb and are going to
> be using it, printing out a copy of the manpage should be sufficient
> to address the sorts of things that having on-line help would.

But you tend to have to use DDB when you can't print out a copy of the
manual. For more serious debugging, KGDB does a much better job (in
most cases).

/Johan