Subject: Re: 8-space indents considered harmful
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/23/2000 23:00:29
Mike Cheponis wrote:

>Clearly, I advocate (1).

If you are advocating that the entire 8 million lines of NetBSD
source base be changed to use 2 space indentation, this is quite
a task.  It is not generally as simple as running indent on the
file to come up with something that looks decent (see previous
discussion).

But, given that the man months of effort would be spent on it, then
we would end up in a situation where there is a breaking point in
the NetBSD source tree over which it is not possible to generate
useful diffs.  And, I think that I am correct in saying that diffs
are a lot more useful than any potential gains from changing the
indentation.

If you are advocating that all new source files are indented at
2-4 spaces, then I think that we should consider what detrimental
effects a mixed indentation style might have on the development of
the system.  I am not convinced that the potential gains outweigh
the costs.

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==