Subject: Re: System unique identifier.....
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/25/1999 02:21:14
>> I was talking about this on linux-kernel, but it also applies to *BSD...

>> What're folks' motions of a settable system unique identifier,
>> available prior to mountroot?  This identifier has to be 64 bits or
>> better and must be persistent across reboots.

What is this value to be associated with?  The CPU?  The primary boot?
The secondary boot?  The kernel?  The motherboard?  Or is that left up
to the port?

And depending on the answer, where do you propose to find the storage
to save it?  I'm admittedly familiar with only a few of the ports, but
would be surprised if there weren't a port without a place available
*somewhere* to stash such a thing.  (Some models of VAX, maybe.)

What is it for, that it has to (a) be settable and (b) be available
before mountroot time?

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca