Subject: Re: good guys, bad guys
To: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/18/1999 03:31:11
I know that there is a long history of animosity between various people,
and I know that people from NetBSD have not behaved "properly" from
time to time. But their not the only ones.

I rather dislike the way you seize the opportunity to paint a picture
of NetBSD being the obnoxious, nasty, bad people with tasteless shirts,
and FreeBSD (you in this case) as the innocent, polite bystander who only
has the well-being of the entire community in mind.

I've heard other stories about Usenix, and they did not sound like
NetBSD people were pushing tasteless shirts in everyone's face. But
hey, I wasn't there, so I wouldn't know.

In any case: you may have thought that the T-shirts were in bad taste,
but so is using a technical forum to try to make others look bad
about an unrelated subject. Your words may sound different, but the
aim seems the same as of someone who uses fewer and less polite
words.

I'll conclude with the usual contradictory "this thread must die".
Anyone can feel free to mail me privately about it, of course,
though I don't have much more interesting things to say about it,
I'm afraid.

- Frank