Subject: Re: `Large Inodes'
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: Stefan Grefen <grefen@hprc.tandem.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/30/1999 12:51:52
In message <Pine.GSO.3.95.990326180758.14020A-100000@jericho>  "Eduardo E. Horvath" wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > Our system is a little different - we never blow away the file, just its
> > data. So each file always has an inode, and has 0 length. That's why a
> > larger inode would have been cool. :-)
>
> Have you considered truncating the file to one fragment and stashing the
> extra data there and setting one bit in the inode indicating the file has
> been migrated and the information to track it is in that fragment?

Never add the additional data in less than fs-blocksize chunks to the
real one. Well behaved programs try to do IO on blocksize boundaries,
and this would just defeat the purpose ....

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                                Tandem Computers Europe Inc.
grefen@hprc.tandem.com                       High Performance Research Center