Subject: Re: USB feedback wanted
To: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/30/1998 13:08:35
On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Lennart Augustsson wrote:

> Don't we have the same problem already?  What if I have two identical
> PnP sound cards?  How do I decide which is /dev/audio0 and /dev/audio1?

Serial number, if the vendor supports multiple cards in one machine. If
the vendor chooses to NOT support multiple cards in one machine, then the
card-specific serial number is set to all ones, and you can only put one
in a machine (as the PnP selecting uninitialized cards routine will not
work).

Granted, it'll probably be hard to tell which is which from looking at
them, but at least it will be very repeatable. :-)

Take care,

Bill