Subject: Re: USB feedback wanted
To: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/30/1998 09:29:30
> I don't really care where they live, but they need to be
> installed so that they are accessible from user-land.
> Since sys/sys seems to be where these files generally live
> I thought it was the right place.

There are an awful lot of files that live under sys/dev (that get
installed into <dev/...>) that have ioctls, interfaces, etc., for
devices.

You never mentioned what locators the various devices use.  It's
important to have those well-defined, and to have your config scheme
structured such that somebody can uniquely identify and hard-code the
identities of devices on their busses.  (Given the nature of hubs,
some part of me wonders if the bus is best represented as 'hubs' and
'things which attach to hubs', i.e. have root hub as the root of the
tree, devices and other hubs attached to it, etc.)

cgd