Subject: Re: HPC port?
To: Paul Evans <paule@shadowfax.martex.gen.oh.us>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/16/1997 23:14:13
>On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Adam Glass wrote:

>> I think doing a pure port to an HPC platform would be fairly difficult, but
>> there are other solutions that may get you to your desired goal.
[...]

>> A second option would be to port NetBSD to Win32 so that it runs as a
>> process (or series of processes) under Win32.  This solution (done properly)
>> should work on NT, Win95, and WinCE.  You can then run your NetBSD
>> applications inside this environment.

>This occured to me as well. It would probably be the wisest. I'm
>wondering if the Linux people haven't done this. Also Mach 3.x with BSD
>on top would be quite "easy" to do this with. (If I'm correctly remembering
>how it works)
[...]

Someone already makes a Unix subsystem for NT.  It doesn't run _under_
Win32 -- it runs as a _peer_ to the Win32 subsystem, above the basic
NT "micro-kernel".  Check out http://www.softway.com/.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.