Subject: Re: proposed: changes to "etc" (?)
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@ns.feral.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/12/1997 13:32:20
On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> Actually, no, my 'approval' (if that) for the registry is that, somewhat
> like ODM in aix both applications and the kernel have access to the
> same persistent storage of arbitrary properties. This has several
> desirable properties if you think about it.

Indeed it does. One of the desirable properties is that applications
can go and update the registry directly, so users don't have to
rewrite config files, or know anything about them. On the other
hand, one of the undesirable properties is that applications can
go and update the registry directly, so users don't have to rewrite
config files, or know anything about them. :-)

Personally, I hate it when applications change configuaration
settings on me; if the settings are going to be changed, I want to
be the one to do it.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite mist, software reverberates