Subject: broken ISA PnP card
To: None <martin@rumolt.teuto.de, tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/22/1997 20:09:18
>From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
>Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 07:47:55 +0200 (MEST)
>
>I wrote:
>
>> An ISAPNP card maps the following isa io ranges:
>>
>> > isic0 at isapnp0 port 0x580/32,0x180/64 irq 10: Teles S0/16.3
>[..]
>> What the card driver realy needs to access are the ports
>> at 0x560 - 0x582 and 0x160 - 0x200.

What the heck is this thing, that it needs I/O ranges that large?
If you still have the receipt, I suggest you return it and forget it
ever existed; chances are it has more bugs.

>After reading it again, I have to reformulate it clearer: the problem
>is not the additional io ranges I need access to - I need regions with
>spans intersecting the ones already made by the isapnp driver.
>
>So my options are:
>
>  a) unmap the ones mapped by the isapnp driver and remap the right ones

This may work.

>  b) use the given mappings but deliberately violate their extend

This is a Bad Idea.

>Any better way?

Write an ISA driver instead of an isapnp one; the card's resources are
fixed, so PnP doesn't really gain you anything.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel