Subject: Re: Help with some memory mapping problems...
To: Joshua Dinerstein <forge@netbsd.warped.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/10/1997 10:50:10
> 	Actually I guess bottom line what I want to do is to be able to
> call the open and close file routines at the syscall entry level from
> inside the kernel.
>
> 	Does anyone know how? Can anyone provide me with some help and
> most especailly some answers. I am totally stumped at the moment, and
> everything I try just leads to kernel failures.

I'm not sure how to do it, but I'd be pleased to find out.

But a few thoughts. You want this buffer to basically contain the file
name of the file you wnat to open, yes? Then I don't think it has to be
in user space. Look at vfs_lookup.c. One of its options says if the file
name is to come from kernel space or user space (the segflg part
of the nameidata stuff).

I'd love to hear how it works!

Take care,

Bill