Subject: Re: proposal for MI floppy formatting
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.quick.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/19/1996 13:15:39
Chris writes:
>> 	- have a set of built-in well-known floppy formats
>> 	- have a set of well-known floppy formats in a configuration file
>> 		("disktabish", as you suggested).

>I'd say that the latter is always better than the former here:

>	(1) you don't waste space in the binary,

>	(2) it's easily configurable.

I'll second that.  I recall the good old days of CP/M ... :-)
It was trivial to read/write floppies from just about any OS, because
you could simply plug the right values into the bios from a floppy
database.  And there were tools/tricks for working out the parameters
for unknown formats.

--sjg
--
Simon J. Gerraty        <sjg@quick.com.au>

#include <disclaimer>   /* imagine something _very_ witty here */