Re: blktap2 implementation in NetBSD

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
Problem with netbsd-iscsi-initiator is that you use vnd(4) to access the
storage. I've never got the block/character device options to work (though
haven't tried hard) as really you need all the devices for the partitions
(e.g. bd0a, rbd0, bd0b, rbd0d, etc.) as the tools generally expect them to
be there like they are in /dev.

I don't think we need all the partitions, since Xen only uses the 'd'
partition (whole disk), the *only* requirement is to create a block
device that contains the whole disk
[snip]

I was making more of a general observation about netbsd-iscsi-initiator and such like rather than specifics of how it might work within Xen. Obviously the more flexible the better as one might want to deal with qcow2 files from NetBSD in general.

When using vnd(4) if the userland process restarts (such as reconnecting to
an iSCSI target) it kills the whole filesystem layer requiring a forced
reboot.

I think you should really be looking at libvdisk in -current.

I've googled libvdisk and I'm not able to find anything, the path
where I think libvdisk should reside is empty:

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/lib/libvdisk/

Can you provide some information about libvdisk please?

It's actually part of the Google Summer of Code:
http://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/netbsd_s_google_summer_of
http://www.mail-archive.com/netbsd-soc-cvs%lists.sourceforge.net@localhost/msg02811.html

--
Stephen