Re: Slower transfers on XEN

On 03/17/2010 01:19 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
"Marcin M. Jessa" <lists%yazzy.org@localhost> writes:

I have an AMD64 server running NetBSD 5.0.2 with two 500Gb IDE drives.
The drives are raided with RaidFrame and Raid 1. The FFS file systems
are mounted with log option.
Copying large files i noticed I get about 6-7 mbit/s when running Xen
and about 10-11 when running GENERIC kernel and scping to the same
file system.
I had to disable ACPI on this server as well.
Any idea why there is this dicrease in performance ?

My experience was

  RAID1 (raidframe) for dom0 fs
  UFS2 fs for backing files
  files created with dd (zero-filled, non-sparse)

I remember dimly

  70 MB/s read from raw raid device
  ~10% less read from file on dom0
  ~10% less than that read from 'raw device' on domU (rxbd0d)

so your 6-7 vs 10-11 seems like too much.  try the above 3 tests and
post the real numbers.
Disabling ACPI and APIC in kernel improved transfer speed over ftp and scp with 70-80%.
Why is this happening ?

Marcin

P.S My observations match your, transfer speed is ~10% less than with kernel without XEN,
but I can live with that.