Subject: Re: Sun 3/50 and -current
To: <>
From: Toby Thain <toby@disegno.com.au>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/27/2002 09:47:46
David Brownlee wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Rick Kelly wrote:
>
> > So I've been running -current on a Sun 3/50 with 12 megs.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > I can use SSH1 with this machine, but SSH2 times out as the system
> > frantically pages.
> >
>         ssh2 is really too heavy for a low end sparc, let alone a sun3 :/

To add to Greg's comment, ssh2 is OK on my SS1+ - just the connect time
is annoying. But it's also a bit annoying (if shorter) with ssh1.

> > [...]
> > I think that the days of NetBSD/sun3 will soon close for the Sun 3/50, of
> > course their are earlier versions that run well.
>
>         NetBSD has only just made it onto the acorn26 and sun2 platforms,
>         so if anything the minimum spec is getting lower not higher...

That's more a matter of coincidence, I'd say; the older, leaner kernels
are arguably better suited to the bottom end. When can I run NetBSD on
my PDP-11 :) ?

Toby