Subject: Re: SCSI mostly...
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/04/2001 16:24:21
[ On Wednesday, April 4, 2001 at 05:56:52 (-0400), Robert F Schaefer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: SCSI mostly...
>
> How did you pull off the 128MB?  I have 4*8M in my /280, and AFAIK that's
> the largest ram card produced by Sun for this model.

Sun's 32MB cards for the 4/xx0 series work just fine in 3/xx0's....  :-)
(well, at least in the /260 and /280 chassis where there's enough power)

There were some stability problems that I never narrowed down.  Most fo
the time I had it runing it was running SunOS-4.1.1u1 which though it
had(has) good support for the ECC detection (even on those 32MB boards,
it seems! ;-), would spontaneously panic and reboot far more often than
it did with just 4x8MB boards installed (maybe once a week instead of
almost never).  It had similar problems running NetBSD, but back then
NetBSD didn't have support for ECC detection so I really couldn't rule
out a more recent memory error either.

> Whoo whoo!  I can't afford to run the sun 24/7 like a Real Computer
> should, I dunno what I'm going to do if I get the two VAXen (6xxx & 4xxx) I've
> been looking at-- I'm sure they're not gonna draw less juice than the sun.
>  At least I'm not in California!

One of those coal-producing states like Kentucky or Tennessee should put
together a small incentive program to get old hardware collectors to
move to their state where power is still cheap as the wind!

(Hmmm... wind... maybe I should pack up and move back to my Dad's farm
in Saskatchewan -- lots of opportunities for wind generation there!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods