Subject: Re: SCSI mostly...
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: Robert F Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/04/2001 05:56:52
On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> [ On Friday, March 30, 2001 at 01:46:00 (-0500), Andy Ball wrote: ]
> > Subject: SCSI mostly...

<snip>

> Because the 3/280's got 128MB of RAM I think it would make an excellent
> platform for automating builds of NetBSD (or at least my own local
> variant of it), and of course with a 3/60 or two I can test new kernels
> and installs and such much easier too.  I'd even planned to mount a
> small 3.5" drive on the 3/60 so that I could do disk-based install
> tests.

How did you pull off the 128MB?  I have 4*8M in my /280, and AFAIK that's
the largest ram card produced by Sun for this model.  There is one or two
hints about aftermarket ram cards, but nothing like a name or mfgr
anywhere that I could see.  I'd been meaning to ask about this for a while
now, and this semed like the perfect opportunity.

> The only problem I have with this plan is in paying the power bill (and
> in Ontario we're only up to $0.0646/kwh plus a small distribution
> charge, though I'm already pulling over 60kwh/day), and then keeping my
> little computer room cool, especially in the summer.

Whoo whoo!  I can't afford to run the sun 24/7 like a Real Computer
should, I dunno what I'm going to do if I get the two VAXen (6xxx & 4xxx) I've
been looking at-- I'm sure they're not gonna draw less juice than the sun.
 At least I'm not in California!

> 							Greg A. Woods

Bob