Subject: Re: SCSI mostly...
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/04/2001 01:50:33
[ On Friday, March 30, 2001 at 01:46:00 (-0500), Andy Ball wrote: ]
> Subject: SCSI mostly...
>
> It's good to hear from someone who has actually done this -
> confirming the theory.  It makes me wonder whether the chap
> who designed the 3/50 and 3/60 had something this in mind.
> Anyone know who this was?  Do you have any clear plans for
> your SUN 3 gear?

Some day I'd like to get my 3/280 mounted in my rack again (it's the one
with the spare 3/60 already in the back -- the 3/280 was the previous
version of my machine called "most.weird.com", and the 3/60 was called
"almost.weird.com"  :-).

Because the 3/280's got 128MB of RAM I think it would make an excellent
platform for automating builds of NetBSD (or at least my own local
variant of it), and of course with a 3/60 or two I can test new kernels
and installs and such much easier too.  I'd even planned to mount a
small 3.5" drive on the 3/60 so that I could do disk-based install
tests.

The only problem I have with this plan is in paying the power bill (and
in Ontario we're only up to $0.0646/kwh plus a small distribution
charge, though I'm already pulling over 60kwh/day), and then keeping my
little computer room cool, especially in the summer.

I'd feel really bad about not having it on a UPS too, though if my plan
to acquire a used 7 KVA UPS succeeds then that won't ever be a
problem....

(well there's that and the fact that I really don't have any room in my
racks for a machine that big either, at least not if I do ever plan to
move from three cabinets and no walking space to just two....  maybe I
should just stick to the 3/260 chassis and park it under my work
table....)

--
							Greg A. Woods