Subject: Packet Radio / APRS
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: None <ball@thehelm.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/31/2001 16:36:06
Hello Ekan!

  E> The problem with packet radio is that you are not
   > allowed to use it for anything useful and people get
   > annoyed at you when you try to use it.

<grin>

  E> The installed base of users are also quite small (at
   > least around here).  I have not checked for a couple of
   > years, but I guess it is the same today

I think APRS (Automated(?) Position Reporting System) is
causing a resurgence of interest.  I haven't figured out yet
whether it uses AX-25, or replaces it. A friend showed me an
APRS program running on a colour PalmOS palmtop the other
day, there are also web pages that use Java to plot the
positions of APRS equipped people on a map. I understand it
really comes into its own in disaster relief situations.

I don't know if there are any APRS programs for NetBSD.

Regards,
  - Andy.