Subject: Re: disklabel on sun3/50
To: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/23/2001 11:27:07
> So I'm trying to write a disklabel on a 240M disk so that I can write
> the miniroot to the swap device and then install NetBSD 1.5.

> Whe I attempt to write the disklabel to the disk I get warnings like
> this for various partitions:

> disklabel: WARNING: partition b: offset % cylinder-size != 0

The sun3 port uses Sun-compatible disklabels; for the boot disk,
there's no choice, since that's all the ROM code understands.

And Sun disklabels store partition start values in terms of cylinders,
so they don't even have any way to *represent* a partition that doesn't
begin on a cylinder boundary.  (Of course, "cylinder" really means
"sec/trk * trk/cyl", which may or may not bear any relation to where
actual cylinder boundaries fall.  I once considered writing disklabels
with one-sector cylinders, to allow partition boundaries to fall
anywhere, only to find that the cylinder count field is only 16 bits
wide.  I haven't experimented with letting the high bits of the
"cylinder" count fall on the floor.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca