Subject: Re: Sun 3/50 crash after netboot.
To: None <jwbirdsa@picarefy.picarefy.com>
From: Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/21/2001 20:48:28
On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 01:30:24AM -0000, jwbirdsa@picarefy.picarefy.com wrote:
>    I have a 3/50 with a similar memory expansion that I was running
> diskless for some time. Usually, if the memory expansion isn't seated
> correctly, you'll get memory errors. In this case, I would be tempted
> to ask: 1) does the default build of the NetBSD user world expect a
> 68881/2 to be present, and 2) does your 3/50 actually have one? I've
> never tried running NetBSD on a coprocessor-less unit.

	It does appear to have one, at least the kernel identifies a
68881 and there were no obviously empty sockets.

>    Incidentally, NetBSD running diskless on a machine with only 8M is
> unusable. A simple "ps -aux" requires four or five minutes of solid
> network activity before producing any output, for example. It's definitely
> a memory-shortage problem because NetBSD is perfectly happy running
> diskless on machines with 16M.

	Interesting.  It appears this box will max at 12M, if I put the
other 4M of sims in it (1x9x80ns parts, I can almost definately dig some
of those up).  I wonder if NetBSD has grown to where it just won't boot
right on 8 M?

--
Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440