Subject: Re: 501-1105 FPA
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Robert F Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/07/2001 11:08:43
On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 10:03:06PM -0500, Robert F Schaefer wrote:
>
>  > Hi there!  Can anyone point me to a little information about these?  I'm
>
> The Sun FPA was a floating-point accelerator ... it is totally different
> from the '881/'882 ... in order to use it, you have to access a device
> driver.  You can't just use the m68k floating point insns.

I understand that part, I was wondering how much of an advantage one would
provide.  Obviously, the board would be able to operate in tandem with the
onboard FPU, but is it significantly faster than it?  Or, does it just do
complex functions like vector math?  My ignorance is showing, I think.  :)

> I'm pretty sure I have some info on this board somewhere -- if you're
> interested in writing a driver for it for NetBSD, let me know.

I'd love to see anything you have on the board!  I think I would be
interested in coding the driver.  Or, at least, I'll give it a shot.  I do
have two spares, so if you know someone who might be a better choice for
this project, lemme know, I'll ship them my spares.

Thanks!

> --
>         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>

Bob