Subject: Re: 501-1105 FPA
To: Robert F Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/06/2001 19:23:02
On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 10:03:06PM -0500, Robert F Schaefer wrote:

 > Hi there!  Can anyone point me to a little information about these?  I'm
 > curious as to their performance, as compared to a 20Mhz '881, as well as
 > an '882 `upgrade'.

The Sun FPA was a floating-point accelerator ... it is totally different
from the '881/'882 ... in order to use it, you have to access a device
driver.  You can't just use the m68k floating point insns.

I'm pretty sure I have some info on this board somewhere -- if you're
interested in writing a driver for it for NetBSD, let me know.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>