Subject: Re: 1.4.2 release candidate is up for ftp.....YEAH!
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/09/2000 13:51:50
> > IMPORTANT!! If you install this onto a machine running 1.4M, 1.4P, or
> > 1.4<letter>, it is probably going to downgrade your machine.
> >
> > ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/sun3/snapshot/1.4.2/
>
> Great!  I await with baited breath... or something like that...(:+}}...
>
> I will load it up tonight, and see if my dinosaur VME crates can
> breaketh it goode!

This one works!  Finally, hurrah!  Well, mostly so.....

Scsi drivers do fine, with no timeouts on my 3/260.  I am now a happy
camper in the scsi end of things.

Tape does not work.  It will boot from tape, but not install from tape.
Why would the boot work, but the loaded kernel not, on mt02 scsi tapes.

Install from miniroot to swap works fine, with ftp loading follup.
Tape loading did not work.

Serial console is a little off.  It spits out 8 bit graphics chars
to serial consoles.  VT420 in vt100 mode has lots of graphics ``?''
chars in 36 point font.....(:+\\.....  I sense it is due to the
console driver trying to work as a built-in graphics mono device
rather than a serial device.  I will try a graphics terminal later.

Terminals are unknown.  Vipw will not take install defaults to vt100,
thus only ed works on my machine.  Setting term does not help.

Thanks, Todd....

Bob