Subject: Re: filesystem won't fsck
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/29/2000 12:51:51
>>> ...well, no, it's weirder than that.  [..."sticky" fsck error...]
>> Weird.  Either a compiler bug or a hardware prolem.
> It's stopped happening.  I'll try to recreate the hardware setup as
> exactly as I can and see if I can make it come back.

It's hardware.

The setup is a Sun-3/60, cabled to a piece of ribbon cable with two
ST51080Ns on it.  If I tell the last drive on the chain to terminate,
it works fine.  If I tell both drives to disable their terminators and
then slap an external (active) terminator on the end of the cable, I
get the behavior I described.

Personally I suspect something relating to the terminator-power SCSI
pin, but I'm not sure; I tried jumpering the end drive to terminate,
but to take its terminator power from the SCSI bus instead of from its
own power connector.  That too worked fine.  I don't quite dare telling
one of the drives to power the scsi bus terminator pin, because if the
cpu grounds it that could easily fry something on the drive.

Whatever, it seems to be something devilishly subtle wrt termination,
not a software issue at all.

Maybe I can scrape this egg off my face and scramble it for breakfast?
I'd've thought by know I'd know better than to trust the terminator
power pin on a Sun-3 SCSI bus....

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca