Subject: Re: ...oh woe, or suffering...and beyond..
To: None <gauze@110.net>
From: Db <Db@hypermax.net.au>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/18/2000 02:43:13
>>   Btw...compiling on a 3/50 with it's stock 4mb of ram and old CDC scsi
>> brick re-defines the meaning of the words 'wait for it'...if I ever
>> have a want for this machine now, it would be for extra ram...

>yep. it took me 66 straight hours to compile ncurses 5.0 and BitchX1.0c15
>back to back , http://www.gloom.org/~gauze/netbsd if you want the crap I
>compiled

...kewl..and thank you, but would I not then missout on hearing first hand
the hours and hours of harddrive nattering, before rejoicing in the
silence of compiling being complete? (ok...so I'm ill in the head ;)

>as for additional RAM there were only 3rd party hacky add on boards (up
>to 12 M) which are probably hard to find loose. I wonder what building
>one would take :-) nfs swap on 10base2 network is understandably slow, of
>course :-( which is what I am stuck with as well)

..yes, I have heard of these mythical expansions, but you are right (in
understatement) of their rarity...I haven't even seen a picture of one,
let alone an actual specimen. I'm unsure whether nfs swap is any faster or
slower than the access times on scsi swap partition...though, it probably
peels off into the wilderness of not mattering..I dare say the speed of
either medium could not encroach on the 3/50's ability to take it's time.

  Cheers!