Subject: Re: TCP problems resolved
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Fredette <fredette@MIT.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/24/1999 09:46:20
[re: setting net.inet.tcp.rfc1323 to zero]

> 	Hmm - do you see any problems to machines on your local net,
> 	or is it all to remote hosts?
>
> 		David/absolute

FWIW, I also have to set net.inet.tcp.rfc1323 to zero to get correct
network performance.  After reading the RFC a few years ago, it made
sense that I would have to, since my 3/60 gets its connectivity
through a 33.6k modem, and the RFC describes "TCP extensions to
improve performance over large bandwidth*delay product paths" - not
what I have at all.  (I also had to do this for my old NetBSD/i386
machine.)

My roommate's machine also sits behind the modem, running Linux
(Debian 2.1), and it had the same problem with an equivalent solution.
Later, when reinstalling the machine, he realized that answering "no"
to a "do you have a fast network connection?" prompt would install
things to set the rfc1323 value to no at startup.

Maybe NetBSD could use a similar prompt and a new rc.conf variable?

Matt

--
Matt Fredette
fredette@bbnplanet.com, fredette@mit.edu, fredette@theory.lcs.mit.edu