Subject: 3/4xx
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: None <jwbirdsa@picarefy.picarefy.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/21/1999 03:12:34
   OK, at this point it's becoming pretty obvious that I'm going to have to
give up on 3/4xx systems for a while. When the ie isn't causing trouble,
the si is causing trouble, and even if both behave, eventually there will be
a memory error and the thing will crash because the ECC isn't implemented
yet. (I wish the last had been noted on the web page, because it really
means that 3/4xx support is still experimental.)

   Right now, I'm feeling kind of cursed. My first attempt at getting this
machine up was with a 4/2xx, and support for the si is completely broken in
NetBSD/sparc 1.4+. I dropped back to the 3/4xx because NetBSD/sun3 seemed
in good shape and the 3/4xx shouldn't have been much slower. What I got was
disappointing performance when I wasn't getting si or ie errors.

   Please, nobody get me wrong -- I realize that an OS is a huge project, I
appreciate how much work it took to get NetBSD/sun3 this far, and I'm
perfectly willing to help out with making it better. (Does anybody have any
docs for the sc? The si sucked even under SunOS, so I'd really like to go
back to my old reliable sc's if anybody can provide docs for me to write a
driver with.)

   But right now my goal is to get my *production* servers back up. So,
before I get burned by half-supported hardware any more, I'm going to ask
the question that I should have asked before I even started:

   What are people actually running NetBSD/sun3 1.4 on? What has really
been tested a lot? So far, it looks like the 3/50 and 3/60 have had most of
the bugs worked out, but some of my systems require more memory than that,
or a second ethernet port. Has 1.4 been exercised on 3/1xx or 3/2xx systems
to any great extent? (Is the ECC memory support implemented for 3/2xx'es?)
How is support for the 3/80?

   Thanks for putting up with my little rant.

   --James