Subject: Re: marketing NetBSD to the old SunOS crowd
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Alexander Bochmann <ab@infra.de>
List: port-sun3
Date: 09/01/1999 23:39:11
...on Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 10:02:46AM -0400, NetBSD Bob wrote:

 > For example, none of my VME suns can run NetBSD, because the tape
 > drivers basically won't, although they try.  In particular, NetBSD
 > really needs an MD and an MT driver for the old hardware.  The MD

I never even thought about installing NetBSD from tapes on my SUN3/160s...
Making a netboot work was just so much easier ;)
(Or is there any other reason to need tapes?)

 > and MT controllers off an SI or SC controller were the basic issue
 > Sun equipment.  NetBSD just won't go on those, in my hands.  IFF

Well, both of the SUN3 I have feature the unsupported SCSI controller,
and although I have a SMD disk controller and even an SMD disk array,
I wasn't able to make NetBSD work with it (wouldn't have been able to
run such a configuration anyway, as the SMD disk tower produces enough
heat to make everything else in the room break down...).

Alex.