Subject: Re: Booting a Sun 3/60
To: Kragen Sitaker <kragen@pobox.com>
From: Matthew Avery <avery1701@yahoo.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/02/1999 18:49:32
--- Kragen Sitaker <kragen@pobox.com> wrote:
> I wrote:
> > Is something wrong with my setup or my kernel?
>
> In reading the NetBSD 1.4 documentation, I learn
> there is a program
> called 'netboot' which the Sun's ROM should boot,
> which queries a
> bootparamd to figure out where to get the real
> kernel.
>
> The reason I wasn't doing this in the first place:
> on
> http://netbsd.gw.com/Ports/sun3/index.html is a link

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/sun3/x11r6.3/Xkernel-root.tar.gz,
> with no nearby documentation.  I assumed some amount
> of documentation
> would be included.
>
> I cannot find any files in the Xkernel-root tar file
> that look like
> possible candidates.  There is no file called
> 'netboot', and all the
> other files in the distribution appear to be either
> the NetBSD kernel,
> text files, legitimate NetBSD executables, or a
> Berkeley DB file.
>
> I should note that the "Netbooting NetBSD/sun3"
> document seems to be
> missing, not only on www.netbsd.org, but also on
> netbsd.gw.com,
> www.au.netbsd.org, www.fr.netbsd.org, and
> www2.fr.netbsd.org.  (I'm
> using
> http://netbsd.gw.com/Documentation/network/netboot/intro.sun3.html
> and
> its corresponding URLs on other servers.)
>
> The netbooting web page I get to by backspacing over
> 'intro.sun3.html'
> says the sun3 document is 'coming soon'.
>

> --
> <kragen@pobox.com>       Kragen Sitaker
> <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
> According to my medieval text in the seventh century
> a finalizer raised a
> dead object named Gorth who infected every computer
> in Cappidocia ending
> Roman rule in the region.  -- Charles Fiterman on
> gclist@iecc.com

> #include <std_disclaimer>

Oops!
I sent that last one about the location of fsck to you instead of the
list by accident.  Could you send it back to the list (I'm not familiar
with this Yahoo mailer yet).

The only package I could get to run a bootserver was "etherboot-4.0".
I'm on vacation right now and I can't remember where I found it but
I'll mail it to you next week (probably could find it just as easily
yourself).  I was only booting PCs from a PC server but I experienced
the same frustration with the existing documentation for bootservers as
you described.  It's extremely dated.  Find the etherboot package and
read the documentation that comes with it.  Also, I found that tftp had
trouble following symlinks so just copy your Sun kernel to the actualy
kernel bootfile name.  The etherboot package comes with a utility that
allows you to create a tagged image that downloads and executes via
tftp correctly.  It's the only one I could get to work.

Good luck!
===
Matthew Avery

ASE Technologies, inc.