Subject: Re: Problem Netbooting--SOLVED (well, mostly)
To: Allan Kelly <akelly@holyrood.ed.ac.uk>
From: International Man of Mystery <wcooley@nakedape.navi.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/16/1999 10:29:13
On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Allan Kelly wrote:

> Hi, I've been using my Sun 3/60 dual-headed (mono w. salvaged cgfour
> retro-fitted) and booting from Linux using Xkernel. I'm very
> interested in NetBSD, and so I was delighted to see that a NetBSD
> Xkernel has been assembled. Luckily I was familiar with the procedure,
> as there's no instructions! I've got (I believe) to the same point as
> Wil, but unfortunately I don't understand your solution. I'd _really_
> appreciate some hand-holding here!

I had problems when I tried to use Xkernel, but then again, that might
have been because I didn't understand how the booting process worked. I've
been intending to put together an updated Xkernel using binaries from the
latest release, but haven't gotten around to it.

> netboot loads via tftp, netbsd loads and boots. At this stage I have
> messages in /var/log/messages telling me that the root directory has
> been mounted by the Sun, but the Sun says (repeatedly) RPC timeout for
> server 0x81d7461a which is indeed my server's IP. So, following from
> Wil's lead I try tcpdump, as follows: (The Sun 3/60 is
> dunbar.ucs.ed.ac.uk, the Linux box is lammermuir)

Do you have bootparamd running and configured (according to the
Netboot-HOWTO) on lammermuir?  What does the config file look like?

Wil
--
W. Reilly Cooley                             Naked Ape Consulting
wcooley@nakedape.navi.net                http://nakedape.navi.net

   Internet Meta-Resources: http://nakedape.navi.net/meta-res/
	       "All the Net you need to be a geek."

The average woman must inevitably view her actual husband with a certain
disdain; he is anything but her ideal.  In consequence, she cannot help
feeling that her children are cruelly handicapped by the fact that he is
their father.
		-- H.L. Mencken