Subject: Problem Netbooting--SOLVED (well, mostly)
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: W. Reilly Cooley <wcooley@nakedape.navi.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/12/1999 12:39:13
After fiddling around with my 3/60 for too many hours, I have finally
discovered the source of my problem.  I'm netbooting off of a BSDI 3.1
machine, which configures pretty much like NetBSD.  (There was no supplied
bootparamd, but I used the one from a free UNIX, I forget which right now.
[I started this several months ago.])

At any rate, I got it to go all the through booting, to loading the
kernel, but it would hang when it went to mount the NFS root.  I noticed
with tcpdump that it was broadcasting.  I thought the problem was that it
was broadcasting, rather than directly contacting the machine it had
called bootparamd from previously.  (Someone explain why it calls
bootparamd twice, and why it broadcasts the second time.)

*Finally* I figured out that it was broadcasting as if it were on a /24
subnet, but we have a /23 subnet.  This caused it to use the wrong
broadcast address. Changing the netmask on the host machine changed the
broadcast address, which allowed the system to boot.  Who-ee!

But now I've got a machine with the wrong netmask.  Can I configure the
Sun to use a different broadcast or netmask?  Will it even understand a
/23 subnet, being from the days before CIDR?

Also, I'm having a bit of a problem with messages about the getty
respawning too quickly (from syslog):

init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttya, sleeping
init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/kd, sleeping

Before I dig into this, does anyone have a quick explaination?  Sorry to
ask before even looking at it... This brings up request: searchable mail
archives.  Good idea eh?  (Or maybe even a link to another site that has a
searchable archive.)

Finally, one last question.  I notice archives of Sept-Nov 1998 are
missing.  Is this due to the disk crash that happened several months ago?
(Or maybe I'm mis-remembering.)

Wil
--
W. Reilly Cooley