Subject: 1.3.2 distribution /bin/ps pukes with NetBSD-1.3I
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: J. Maynard Gelinas <maynard@jmg.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/10/1999 10:14:09
     Hi folks,
     I just found some free time to D/L the 1.3.2 distribution and untar it
over my older NetBSD3x installation and proceeded to grab sys.tar.gz from
NetBSD-current/tar_files[...].  With a few tries I even got it to compile!
Actually, I don't think I did anything wrong with my previous compilation
attempts - even a generic distribution kernel seems to leak memory during
general use and will just start dumping core at the shell prompt for every
program invoked after a time.  I can accept that, it just means rebooting
the box right before compiling a kernel (or anything else large).  Maybe
it's time I built a gcc 68k cross compiler on my x86 box. <g>

     Anyway, I just installed this new kernel and am getting strange
errors from ps.  Do I need to upgrade my tools again?  Have the
development kernels diverged in compatibility from the base 1.3.2
distribution?

netbsd1# which ps
/bin/ps
netbsd1# ps
ps: proc size mismatch (8580 total, 616 chunks)
netbsd1# dmesg

NetBSD 1.3I (GEN3x_COLOR) #0: Sun Jan 10 05:39:47 EST 1999
    root@netbsd1:/usr/src/sys/arch/sun3/compile/GEN3x_COLOR
Model: Sun-3X (3/80)
fpu: mc68882
real  mem = 8192K (0x800000)