Subject: Sun 3/80: Successful Installation
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Johnston <johnston@mit.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/06/1998 21:36:52
Hello all!

I posted a message a while ago to the effect that the NetBSD/sun3x ramdisk
kernel (netbsd-rd) would boot on my Sun 3/80, but appear obstinately not
to have a ramdisk.  I assumed this problem was due to having only 4 MB of
RAM.  I discovered, however, that there IS, in fact, a way to make this
work, as the cause of my problem was merely software.

Basically, all that was required was for me to download the NetBSD-1.3
version of the ramdisk kernel:
 ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3/sun3x/binary/kernel/netbsd-rd.gz
And place it in the appropriate (NFS) directory for retrieval by the
netboot program.  The 1.3 version of the ramdisk kernel is more than
adequate for partitioning the disks, configuring the ethernet device, and
installing the 1.3.2 version of the miniroot, whereupon installation
of NetBSD-1.3.2 continues flawlessly.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  NetBSD/sun3x is awesome!

Scott