Subject: Re: Problems netbooting a 3/60 :-(
To: W. Reilly Cooley, Esq. <wcooley@nakedape.ml.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/03/1998 11:25:24
> [W]hen it goes to actually mount root, it seems to send a broadcast
> to udp 96.  Here's tcpdump:

> 16:37:23.561084 mysun.mydomain.net.1023 > XX.XX.XX.255.sunrpc: udp 96
> 16:37:28.721008 mysun.mydomain.net.1023 > XX.XX.XX.255.sunrpc: udp 96

No, that's a broadcast to the sunrpc port, 96 bytes long.

> And this keeps going, and going...  Why the hell is it not using the
> nfs server it gets through bootparam?  Why the hell is it
> broadcasting?

Without seeing more details I couldn't say definitely.  My guess is,
your bootparamd isn't serving up whatever it's asking for, so when it
gets no answer it figures someone else must be the right server and it
broadcasts its request.

> I'm pretty sure the /etc/bootparams is okay because it gets as far as
> it does and it's pretty much the same one I used earlier that worked.

I'm not sure the former actually matters; it may be willing to answer
one query but not another.  Full messages from the -3/60's console
would help; if necessary, hook it up to a machine to capture them.
(Since it gets far enough to load a kernel, you can probably skip
everything before the last few device probe messages without impairing
the transcript's usefulness.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca