Subject: Re: 8MB Sun3/50
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Brian <signal@shreve.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/27/1998 21:50:42
On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Brian wrote:
>
> > When I first boot my Sun, the first screen shows the PROM version (2.6)
> > and that the system has 8MB of memory.  Does this mean that I have one of
> > those third party memory upgrades?  The actual model number shows from the
> > PROM as "Sun 3/50M"............does "M" mean modified? memory?
>
> Yes, you have a third party memory upgrade. If you undo the four
> bolts at the corners of the slide-in board in the back, and slide
> it out, you'll probably notice that there's a daughterboard of some
> sort perched on top of the MMU chips.

yes I have a daughterboard.........cool :), not bad for "Free".

now if I can just figure out where to get a type3 keyboard/mouse/pad (or a
type 4/5 with adapter) cheap, I'll be set.  I have a type 3 keyboard/mouse
right now (no pad) but the space bar broke off, the M key is missing, and
its not very pretty looking.

> I believe the `M' in `Sun 3/50M' means you have a monochrome Sun 3/50.
>
> cjs
> --
> Curt Sampson  <cjs@portal.ca>  604-257-9400    De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
> Any opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.
> The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org

Brian Feeny (BF304)   | ShreveNet Inc. - Premium Internet Service Provider
Network Administrator | Shreveport, Louisiana - http://www.shreve.net/
signal@shreve.net     | Web Hosting, Virtual Domains, Storefronts,
(318)222-2NET x 109   | Database/Web Integration, 56k, ISDN, T1