Subject: Re: FW: Question/Help?
To: Robert D. Keys <bsdbob@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/20/1998 16:18:14
On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Robert D. Keys wrote:

> The box I have is a kludge of misc parts from half a dozen dead machines
> that got litterally dumped of the back of a truck into the dust, and
> one dead 3/160 box that got likewise badly damaged in shipping.

	Ouch - I had a friend who picked up a microvax of similar size,
	only to see the UPS guy drop it off the back of the truck when it
	arrived!

> It is one of those ugly brown Sherman tanks with 12 slots.  And, it does
> have the companion full tower ugly brown Sherman tank drive case.
> I have the Sun 3 keyboard but the Hitachi color monitor seems to be dead,
> so I use a PS/2 Model 25 running Kermit as its remote serial vt-100
> console.  It is a little crude, but it works.  When I am done with
> getting the machine going, its only use will be as my home server,
> so I probably don't need the big Sun workstation style monitor.

	Sounds reasonable - I'm similarly without monitor and using a
	serial terminal (my psion5 usually :)

> Technically, it started life as a 3/160.  But, the 3/160 CPU blew ram.
> I cobbled together a top bay drawer to restore a tape system via the
> inboard scsi cable, and added a Quantum PD LPS 240 drive instead of the
> original pair of 85mb mfm drives off the Adaptec controller board.
> Currently, it has a 3/110-LC cpu (or so it says on SunOS boot from the prom).
> It has a total of 12 megs ram via 2 Carrera ram boards, plus the native
> 4 megs of ram on the 3/110 cpu board.  They all seem to work.  I rekeyed out
> the part number on the scsi board, and, my rotten luck, it IS a 501-1149
> Sun 2 controller.  I was trying to get one of the 501-1236 Sun 3 controllers
> but that is not what I wound up with.  I did manage to get SunOS-4.1.1
> up on it, and there is about 50mb of spare space after a full install.

	Sounds about right... pity about that SCSI controller :(

> I do have one Fujitsu M2333K (280mb?) SMD drive in the drive case.
> I don't know its status, yet, since all the cabinets were dumped off
> the back of a truck, and all the cabling on the SMD cabinet got sheared
> off its mounting screws when it hit the dust.  The panel is probably
> straightenable, and the condition of the drive is unknown, but it may
> still be OK.  The cable ends I will have to haywire up some to get them
> to make connection.  I was fortunate enough to get a 7053 SMD controller
> and the right cables to hook it up, plus a pair of the 450 and 451
> controllers.  I dunno If I have all the right cables for the 450 series
> controllers, but I think it is all there.

	I have a spare 250MB SMD disk, but getting the beast to you
	might be a problem (its a little, uh, heavy :)

> Is it possible your 3/260 could generate a set of dump tape images to
> clone your system, if it would work on my hardware?  All I have up
> tapewise is the original, slightly smashed Wangtek 60mb drive.  A
> fellow sent me a spare viper 60mb and 150mb drive that I can use if
> I need to, but I am not sure my proms (Rev 2.7) are the right ones
> for the 150mb tape drives using the 3/110 cpu.  Do you know, offhand?

	Sorry - canna help you on that one, I havent' got anything to
	work on my tape drive yet.

> I think I probably need to go a'scrounging for the real Sun 3 scsi
> controller, maybe.

	If its going to be a home server then presumably it'll be on
	a net with other boxes - would you happen to have any of those
	other boxes running unix right now as a method of getting
	NetBSD onto the sun?

		David/absolute

	"Shall I be tempted by the devil thus?"
	"Yes, if the devil tempt you to do good..."