Subject: Re: FW: Question/Help?
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/05/1998 14:20:21
[ On Mon, October 5, 1998 at 11:13:31 (-0700), Rick Copeland wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: FW: Question/Help?
>
> It looks like your Maxtor drives are SCSI, if this is the case you could
> low level format them by connecting them up to a PC with most any Adaptec
> SCSI controller and running the low level format.  I have a Sun 3/150 and
> have had to do that from time to time between botched installs.

You don't need any PC to do this if you can boot SunOS somehow (eg. from
tape).  The SunOS format(8) command can "fix" any drive, and can indeed
low-level format any drive, though you probably don't have format it to
re-write the label with SunOS.

The NetBSD disklabel(8) command should also be able to write a new label
without requiring the disk to be re-formatted, though I've not actually
done this with any recent NetBSD/sun3 (and if I remember correctly it
didn't work right in some earlier releases that couldn't write
Sun-boot-rom-compatible lablels -- in that case der Mouse's sunlabel
program should fix up your disks so they can be used as boot disks
again.)

--
							Greg A. Woods